The North Karelia Project in Finland: A societal shift favouring healthy lifestyles
A portrait of the North Karelia Project, the basis for community programs in chronic disease prevention.
The winning aspects of the North Karelia approach
- Adopting a long-term vision.
- Maintaining close ties with the political bodies and decision makers concerned.
- Making the theoretical bases of the intervention explicit.
- Influencing individual and environmental factors.
- Using the media and a variety of channels for disseminating information.
- Involving champions and influential community members in the project.
- Developing collaborative cross-sector ways of changing environments.
- Mobilizing structures and networks existing in the community.
The principle to be retained
Relying on detailed knowledge of the background and conducting the intervention in collaboration with all involved stakeholders.