There are a few items that can be handy when it comes to caring for your child. Consider stocking your medicine cabinet with the following:
- Digital thermometer
- Acetaminophen (e.g., Tempra®, Tylenol®, or any generic brand for pediatric use)
- Oral rehydration solution (ORS)
- Zinc oxide ointment
- Antibiotic ointment
- A sweet oil (e.g., olive oil)
- Saline solution for the nose
- Adhesive bandages and dressing
- Unscented moisturizing cream
Before adding an item to your medicine cabinet, such as an over-the-counter medication (available without a medical prescription) or a natural health product, you can ask your pharmacist if the product is safe for your baby.
The products in this list, like any medication or natural health product, should be stored safely, i.e., out of the reach of children.