Starting at 24 weeks, the baby can hear sounds from outside the womb, including your voice.
You can start establishing a relationship with your baby during pregnancy. To help make baby’s upcoming arrival feel more real, you can
- Attend prenatal checkups and ultrasound appointments where you can see your baby
- Listen to your baby’s heartbeat at prenatal checkups
- Touch the mother’s belly to feel the baby moving
- Attend prenatal sessions, especially ones designed for dads (if available in your area)
- Work with your partner to get the baby’s room ready—a good way to start visualizing daily life with your baby
- Talk with other dads about their experiences
Ultrasound: An examination using an ultrasound device that can see the embryo or fetus in the mother’s womb.